- American Memory from the Library of Congress
- The home page for the American Memory Historical Collections from the Library of Congress. American Memory provides free access to historical images, maps, sound recordings, and motion pictures that document the American experience. American Memory offers primary source materials that chronicle historical events, people, places, and ideas that continue to shape America.
- Ancestry Online - Genealogy, Family Trees and Family History Records
- Discover your ancestors with the world's largest family history website. Start a family tree, browse census records and more online at Ancestry.com
- Cyndi's List of Genealogy Sites on the Internet
- More than 267,130 links! 257,600 links, categorized & cross-referenced, in over 180 categories. Another 9,520+ uncategorized new links in the works.
- Ellis Island
- FREE Port of New York Passenger Records Search
- FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records
- Search for family ancestors. Billions of free family tree, family history, ancestry, genealogy and census records.
- Free Genealogy Search Engines: Mormon, Ellis Island, Castle Garden, census, cemetery geneology databases
- Search over 6 billion names online with these free genealogy search engines, including Mormon,Castle Garden, Ellis Island,and other free geneology databases.
- Genealogy Department - Porter County Public Library System
- A wonderful resource for Porter County residents.
- Genealogy Sleuth Search for your Ancestors on the Internet
- ProGenealogists® is a consortium of professional genealogists who specialize in genealogical, forensic, and family history research. ProGenealogists researchers are highly skilled and well-trained, having logged over 120 years cumulative research experience.
- Guide to Family History Research
- A nice guide to getting started in family research.
- Heraldry on the Internet, Coats of Arms, Family Crests
- Heraldic Research on the Internet. Related topics: Heraldic research, charges, dictionary of heraldry, coats of arms, surnames, genealogy, clip art.
- Hoosier Home - My Indiana Roots
- There are some pretty interesting postings on this personal website.
- Indiana Genealogy and Family History Resources
- Links to some nice resources.
- Indiana Genealogy Research Resources to Help Find Ancestors for Family History
- Genealogy guide to Indiana resources on the internet. We have links to surnames, cemeteries, census records, and much more! We offer free look ups, and free listings for societies' and individuals' books for sale, newsletters, and more!
- Indiana Historical Society - Local History Resources
- This directory lists all of the genealogical organizations in Indiana known to the Local History Services Department of the Indiana Historical Society.
- Indiana State Genealogy Links - IN StateGenSites
- Search for Genealogy in Indiana State. The StateGenSites database gives visitors websites in 27 different categories.
- Indiana State Library - Genealogy Collection
- The Genealogy Collection has developed over time to become one of the largest collections of family history information in the Midwest. The collection includes 40,000 printed items (family histories, indexes to records, how-to books, cemetery transcriptions, family history magazines, and more) as well as microfilmed federal census records, Indiana county records, passenger lists, and military pension information. The collection includes hundreds of CDs with family history information. The emphasis of the collection is on Indiana and bordering states, as well as eastern and southern states.
- INGenWeb - Indiana Genealogy Online
- County by county genealogy collections throughout the state.
- My Indiana Genealogy
- State of Indiana Home Page: A Free genealogical information on records and links fo Indiana Including information on courthouse records, churches, cemeteries, societies, vital records information and much more.
- National Archives and Records Administration
- The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) is the nation's record keeper. Of all documents and materials created in the course of business conducted by the United States Federal government, only 1%-3% are so important for legal or historical reasons that they are kept by us forever. Those valuable records are preserved and are available to you, whether you want to see if they contain clues about your family’s history, need to prove a veteran’s military service, or are researching an historical topic that interests you.
- Northwest Indiana Genealogical Society
- The online presence of the Northwest Indiana Genealogical Society, Serving Lake and Porter Counties
- RootsWeb Guide to Tracing Family Trees indexes
- A good guide to getting started in genealogy.
- RootsWeb - the Internet's oldest and largest FREE genealogical community. An award winning genealogical resource with searchable databases, free Web space, mailing lists, message boards, and more.
- USGenWeb Project
- Free genealogy and family history online made possible by the USGenWeb Project volunteers. Search free genealogy websites for your ancestors.
- The Vital Information Exchange, (VINE), is a collaborative state wide database that is composed of Indiana local history and vital records from Indiana libraries, historical societies, genealogy societies, and related organizations. The database is designed to allow participants and users to obtain access to Indiana local history and vital records through an Internet searchable database.
- Westchester Township History Museum
- An educational service provided by our library. Visit a historic home, view our exhibits and research local history.
Special Places to Visit:
Learn about our programs and services for
Westchester Township History Museum
Local history is our specialty. Learn about the programs, displays, and archives we have
in a historic home.
in the Life of Westchester Township
On June 15, 2007 we sent teams into our community to visually document a day in the life.
View the slideshow here.
Another Day in the Life of Westchester
On October 9, 2010 we sent out teams again to document our community.
The photo galleries can be viewed here.
County Public Library Catalog
All of the residents of Porter County can use any county
library through a reciprocal borrowing agreement. Use this link to search the county system for the titles you
Homework Help and tutoring from the Rose-Hulman Institute of
Inspire is a collection of premium resources provided to the citizens of Indiana by the Indiana State
Library. The site contains full text journal articles, encyclopedias, and even a Testing and Education
Reference Center where you can study and take practice tests for many fields of study. Explore Inspire